Sunday, January 14, 2007

I Can't Wait Until I'm Home to Bore You With Slides...

Here are a few shots of my neighborhood from our backyard. Right in the middle you can see the Separation Wall, Security Fence, Separation Barrier, Apartheid Wall, a Blatant Violation of the 4th Geneva Convention, etc... choose whichever name fits your political position. All I know is that in 1989, I took a hammer and a can of spray paint to a similar structure. There was such rejoicing when the Wall came down; even David Hasselhoff rose above it on a cherrypicker and belted out his seminal work: "Looking for Freedom". (Dear God, please don't let David Hasselhoff ever come here. While You're at it, is there any way You can stop him from signing any more pacts with the devil? There is already way too much suffering in the world without Da Hoff's "Jump in My Car" polluting the airwaves. It's so wrong. All of it is just wrong... )




This shot was taken from the roof top of Hebrew University. It always seems to be hazy like this. Perhaps, this explains why I'm always blowing soot out of my nose when I get home from a walk.



This one was taken as I was coming down the stairs in the Jewish Quarter of the Old City. The Dome of the Rock is such a breathtaking structure that it is really hard to capture it in a photograph.





If you squint, you can see the wee little people down at the bottom of the picture. Those black dots are men praying at the Wailing Wall/Western Wall.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Steph,

Did Da Hoff Sing "Jump in my car?" I love that song. That's the best rap song ever.

Are you lying to me when you said you were in Germany in 1989? If you were in Germany, how do you say "I am a jelly donut" in german?

I love the pictures, keep 'em coming.

be safe

FSC

Elyte said...

Steph, for future reference, studies have shown that the first stall is usually the one with the least germs, because most people assume it's the most used. (See, I know if they let me go to Jerusalem, I could be useful in so many different ways!)

Hugs,
Elyte

Fabulous in the Holy Land said...

Ich bin ein Berliner!
Listen, I'm not implying that I had anything to do with the Berlin Wall opening and Communism collapsing. I'm just saying that I was living in Germany at the time. A coincidence? Maybe...but maybe not.

Fabulous in the Holy Land said...

Elyte, this is why we should always live near each other. I can't even go to the bathroom without you!

Unknown said...

Steph,

I think you had a lot to do with the Berlin Wall coming down. JFK tried but he couldn't do it. He ended up saying "ich bin ein Berliner."

Fabulous in the Holy Land said...

Franz,
You're not confusing Da Hoff's "Jump into my Car" with Billie Ocean's "Get Out of My Dreams and in to My Car" are you?
And wasn't I the one that told you the JFK story?

Elyte said...

Yeah, and now that you're pregnant, you'll be going to the bathroom all the time!!! (I kid, I kid!)

Unknown said...

Steph,

I was making fun of him. Notice that I said it was the best rap song ever. The JFK line was a joke too, knowing that only you would get it because we laughed about it before.