Sunday, August 12, 2007

I'll never have an eating disorder here...

Let me apologize now for what is likely to be a post loaded with typos. The problem is that I am lying on my bed with my laptop balanced on my bulging belly making it difficult for me to tap the keys with any degree of accuracy. I have just come back from dinner at a friend’s house where her mother made a deeeee-licious meal. True to Palestinian hospitality, they stuffed me like a Koosa Mahshi. This, by the way, is exactly what we had for dinner.

I am a huge fan of Thai food. I love Mexican food. I consider Chinese a real treat. But if you want the best home cooked food on the planet, Palestine is the place to be. Koosa Mahshi is probably my favorite dish. The first time I had it was with a friend of a friend from Nablus. After one bite, I thought to myself that if I lived here permanently, I would need to invest in some elastic waist pants. Not exactly a Weight Watchers approved dish. Of course, that isn’t going to stop me from trying to make it myself.

Koosa Mahshi is stuffed zucchini. It is stuffed with rice, ground beef and what I can only guess is a little bit of heaven and then poached in the oven. Then it is simmered in a sauce made of dried goat yogurt. I know I tasted cardamom, but I’m not sure if it was in the stuffing or the sauce. My friend’s mother also made some amazing lamb and salad. The meal was topped off with a cup of sweet Arabic coffee which will no doubt have me staring at the ceiling well into the wee hours of the morning. Ah…it is all worth it though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to see appreciation for Palestinian food.

My grandmother was born in Ramullah and I grew up with mahshe, spheha, makluba, kibbe, etc. After she passed I was jonesing so bad for her cooking that I finally broke down and learned how to make it myself (of course it makes my mother so proud). So, tonight I made a full pot of koosa mahshe , makluba with some left over chicken, and ...wait for it ... tada ! Warak !

Fabulous in the Holy Land said...

Now, I am the one jones-ing for Palestinian food. I am back in the States and I haven't found anything that compares to my friend's mother's cooking. That friend is actually visiting right now which does nothing to help get her mom's cooking off my mind!