Monday, May 21, 2007

Before there was MJ Rosenberg, there was Hanan Ashrawi

When I was going on and on about MJ Rosenberg, I don't know how I could have forgotten my favorite female hero...Hanan Ashrawi. I'm at work right now, and I'm checking the links on the NGOs website. That's when I came across the website "Miftah". It's been a while since I've been there and I forgot what a great source it is for Israel/Palestine news.

Hanan Ashrawi is one of the reasons I have a passion about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. For quite some time I was very pro-Israel, and it was her book "This Side of Peace" that helped me recognize that my understanding of the situation was heavily biased. It is always a bitter pill to swallow when you admit to yourself that you don't know everything about everything. Of course, it is extremely frustrating to always try to see both sides of both sides. It is a whole lot more comfortable to just pick a team and be ignorant. "Blissful" you might say. So Dr. Ashrawi, I thank you for the enlightment, and I resent you for the cognitive dissonance.

Check out her organization's website: http://www.miftah.org/

1 comment:

MJ Rosenberg said...

It is so great that there are folks like you out there.
Makes it much easier!
THANKS
MJ
mjx847@gmail.com