Sunday, June 3, 2007

..and My Feminist Facade Bakes Off at 350 degrees

I'm kind of thinking that maybe I shouldn't limit my career options to gender empowerment & Middle East pursuits. I think that maybe I should re-examine my Betty Crocker roots and embrace the inner Barbara Billingsley. Lately, I have been enjoying the escape that creative expression provides...and by "creative expression", I mean expressing myself with colored sugar and edible flowers. Of course, I realize that making a career out of cake decorating could very well lead to some thicker treads on my already over-inflated spare tire--still I have a lot of fun in the kitchen. Plus, I don't have to think about my day-to-day reality while I'm trying to figure out the best way to convey the map of Palestine on a 9 x 13 sheet cake with only a handful of Petit Buerre cookies, a jar of chocolate spread, colored sugar beads and a wooden camel.

Last night, we had a Pirate Party so I had an opportunity to resume my "art". I was a little crushed for time, so it wasn't my finest work, but it served its purpose.


An oft quoted theory is that no two democracies have ever gone to war with one another. After looking around the room at all the happy cake-eaters I would say, that when people are eating cake, they're not even thinking of war. They're thinking about more cake...and maybe icecream. What this world needs now--more than ever--is cake. I might just be the gal who will bake it for them.

No comments: