Sunday, June 3, 2007

Get Your War On



There are a couple of things that, I don't experience very often, but consistently have brought me a lot of joy: winter trips to the beach, online chats with my niece & nephew, a really good diner breakfast, the accidental afternoon pitcher of margaritas, and of course the sarcastic biting humor of "Get Your War On".

One of my most prized possessions is an autographed poster by GYWO creator David Rees. Last year, The Rude Mechanicals were doing their stage performance of the GYWO comic strip in DC and I was unable to attend. David Rees was there for a post-performance discussion, and my friends didn't forget me. God bless 'em.

Above is probably the tamest dialogue in the entire series, but click the image if you want to get the full cussin' & swearin' effect. Rees really captured the post 9/11 sentiment shared by a lot of people I know. Beneath the sarcastic barbs is a whole lot of rage and frustration, but his brand of humor and sharp political analysis was a real comfort to a lot of us who felt that our country was being highjacked by special interests. If you enjoy Jon Stewart, then definitely check out GYWO.

No comments: